Writing Skill of Mine

A show in National Geographic channel called Brain Games revealed that an adult’s imagination isn't as good as his/her imagination when he/she was a kid. It somewhat relates to me. When I was a teenager, I had all kind of imagination and creativity which resulted in plenty of writings, fiction writings mostly. In Junior High School, I wrote 3 (uncompleted) fiction novels, and I wrote a number of short stories during the Senior High School years. All of them, of course, were written in Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian language). One of my literature teachers was very impressed with my short fiction story and she recommended me to join a writing competition held by my school. I did, and I won the 1st place. Winning that competition gave me a boost of confidence. In the senior year of high school, I along with four of my classmates did a research about public health in the riverside neighborhood and we won the 3rd place in a research writing competition held by a local university with Chevron.
Then, slowly but sure, I started to lose my niche, my muse, my inspiration. As time goes by, I’m growing from a teenager into a young adult. Growing up is hard. Responsibilities and expectations are filling rapidly in my mind that I can no longer think of anything else. College is a place where I got caught up with constantly working on assignments, projects, etc. Then comes the family affairs, my love affairs, school affairs, friend affairs, and before I know it, I have no more space in my life for the imagination and creativity which I used to abundantly had. This blog as an example. I used to write fascinating things and I used to have a theme for every post with pictures and everything. Now I just write my daily activity which contains nothing extraordinary, really.
Last year, after watching Suits (it’s a serial movie about lawyers in Pearson Hardman/Darby law firm in New York), I came up with some fiction story ideas. Not completely related to the law world, but they have a wee bit of it. I got stuck after writing 7 pages. Then it hits me. I’m not that good at writing novel or short story anymore. My imagination fits better with screen writing. From that moment on, I turned my writing skill into a new direction. The results? I came up with 6 new screenwriting ideas. Well, of course, they’re still unfinished yet but plenty of ideas are flowing each and every day. Even when I’m writing this post. Of course, as my English ability is getting better, I write all the screenwriting in English and mostly involve the way Americans live their life.

Maybe it’s true what Brain Games said about adult’s ability in imagination and hence affecting the creativity. I also find that maybe all we (as adults) need to do is pause. Reflects on what we used to good at when we were younger, and on the reason why we no longer do it anymore. Then maybe, we will find something new that we’re good at. Maybe it’s similar with the old thing we used to do, or maybe it’s a brand new thing that we never thought we had. Who knows? Life is full of unexpected things.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...